[PD] Re: [PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Sat Dec 16 16:21:48 CET 2006

IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Apple puts good audio hardware in their laptops.  I can get 14ms of
>> latency on Mac OS X with Pd without really trying (I just set it to
>> 14ms).  I can get down to 11ms if I don't mind clicks when I operate the
>> menus and switch to other applications.
>>

> as always when it comes to latency and people tell numbers, i have to
> ask my question: have you measured this? how? or was it just "putting a
> number somewhere and assuming that it's the real latency"?
> how much load do your settings allow?

hello, the lowest latency i could get is with the CCRMA low latency
kernel patch.
On a cheap internal audio card and an USB midi sport 2*2,
connecting midi in to midi out gives me a latency measure on [timer]
between 15 and 25 ms with the lowest affordable buffers (about 5ms) as
far as I remember.
I couldn't make some other tests actually,
and hope it gives some clues...
Best,
Patco.