[PD] Wii remote

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Dec 16 23:23:46 CET 2006

On Dec 16, 2006, at 7:18 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> nick weldin hat gesagt: // nick weldin wrote:
>
>> There is a max external for the Wii remote here
>> http://www.iamas.ac.jp/~aka/max/#aka_wiiremote
>>
>> How big a job would it be to port it to PD - anyone up for it ?  my
>> coding skills are minimal.
>
> I guess, the best would be to just wait until the HID drivers
> stabilize a bit and then use [hid] to talk to the Wii, maybe adding
> some specialized abstractions later. Here are some interesting URLs:
>
> http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wiimote
> http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wiimote_driver
>
> I'll get a Wii next year, so I'd be trying that route for sure then.

Right now [hid] and the next gen [hidio] use the HID APIs on Mac OS X
and Windows, and the Linux input.h API.  So those APIs would have to
support that device in order to use the WiiRemote.  From what I have
seen, it seems to be a different API.  Now that I see it, I'll need
to think about how to best handle it.  Plus the different OS's
implementations could be very, very different.

The port seems to be pretty straightforward, most Max objects are
pretty easy to port to Pd, and vice versa.  It builds but with a ton
of compiler warnings.  It seems as tho the original programmer
ignored them with the Max object.  Give it a try and let me know if
it works for you: