[PD] Re: [PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Dec 17 02:38:57 CET 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Patco wrote:
> aws a écrit :
>> A general method for latency measurement of any system is described in
>> this paper: Matthew Wright, Ryan Cassidy, Michael Zbyszynski, Audio and
>> Gesture Latency Measurements on Linux and OSX, Proceedings of ICMC
>> 2004, Miami
>
> or just connect ãudio input to audio output of the soundcard and take a
> measure with some patch magics.

Exactly. That's what I said a few mails ago. Try
doc/7.stuff/tools/latency.pd ... however it doesn't seem to be super
precise. Do you have any ideas on how to make it more precise?

And then how is one supposed to be able to get the above paper? It doesn't
seem to be online.

Apart from measuring the echo time of a click like what Miller's patch
already does, the only other way I've thought of, is playing a linear
chirp, and then mix it with an offset copy of itself using adc/dac as the
delay line. This will cause a beat phenomenon, whose frequency can be
quite precisely measured (yes?).