[PD] Abstraction [define]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Dec 17 10:46:12 CET 2006

Hallo,
Cesare Marilungo hat gesagt: // Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> I don't want to sound pretentious. But i think that there's an easy
> answer: save *everything* as a default behavior. I should load a patch
> and have the very same situation I had when I saved it.

It sounds simple and simple always is good, but not this time. To take
one example why not: Suppose you use an abstraction in two different
patches. Saving the state of this abstraction in one patch will
overwrite a saved state of the same abstraction as used in another
patch. Or even in the same patch, if you use the same abstracion twice
in the same patch: Which state of the two abstraction instances is the
right one? And how dare you overwrite the state, the original
abstraction author has saved in the first place? ;)

There are more reasons why saving only snapshots isn't The Right Thing
for everything. Some values may change during a patch's runtime but
you may want to save a default value from the past instead. With some
kinds of patches even the patch's contents may change e.g if you use
nqpoly4 etc.

Snapshot-saving can be useful, of course. Max' "preset" object is in
use for years and it does exactly that. But even Max got a new state
saving mechanism in recent versions which is actually remarkably
similar to the approach of Memento, netpd and sssad.

Ciao