[PD] Abstraction [define]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Dec 17 16:29:36 CET 2006

Hallo,
Cesare Marilungo hat gesagt: // Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> You mean if you open it from inside a patch which use the abstraction?
> Well... uhm... :-[
>
> I'm tempted to answer that if you open an abstraction, and you modify it
> (even adding object and repatching other objects) you need to save the
> abstraction for the main patch to acknowledge it as it has been changed.
> You're saving the state of the abstraction itself. But for me an
> abstraction is like a function in a library. I don't need to edit it in
> everyday use. To me it should be like a built-in object. If I need to
> abstract a part of a patch on-the-fly there's the subpatch thing.

Well, sometimes I find a bug in an abstraction while I'm using it, and
then I fix the abstraction.

Maybe another example to better explain what I mean: Suppose you have
a synth-abstraction, which has some settings to change its general
sound. But then it also can play notes, which will change during the
course of a piece of music. Obviously the settings variables would be
candidates for state saving, but the notes the synth is playing at the
moment it was saved don't really belong to the state. It's like a
hardware synth: The knobs you turn keep their positions even when the
synth is switched off, the keys however don't stay pressed down.

In Pd both "note messages" and "controller change" messages are just
the same kind of things: messages with floating point numbers for
example. It's the patch's author who decides the actual meaning of the
numbers and thus the need to save them or not save them.

> And how come you don't use the 'init' functionalty of gui objects?
> For me it is so useful.

Probably it's a patching style thing, but generally, for example a
slider in my patches is just one "view" of something happening
somewhere else, something at the end of a receive-object for example.
My way to "init" such happenings is independent from the fact that
there also is a slider which can change and display a certain
"happening". Also I prefer explicit actions so I'd rather use a
loadbang than a slider's invisible init function if I want to
initialize for example a panning slider going from 0 to 1 to a default
of 0.5.

Because I use sssad and Memento, defauls values often are read from a
textfile into a [sssad] object or into a Memento-variable anyways.

Ciao