[PD] Abstraction [define]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 18 06:42:51 CET 2006

On Dec 17, 2006, at 7:06 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 11:35 +0100, Steffen wrote:
>> On 17/12/2006, at 5.13, Chris McCormick wrote:
>>
>>> I use these a lot in my own patches at the moment in order to do in-
>>> patch
>>> state saving of all sliders without any externals. It works very
>>> nicely
>>> with no fuss.
>>
>> That and the consensus expressed in other emails in this tread that
>> the definition of state is subjective might be good reasons for not
>> implementing state saving? Ie.: We want to save different things, and
>> we can, isn't that enough?
>>
>> Another thing related to this; i don't understand why it is so
>> important to bundle "things" into one file? The freedom that resides
>> in modularity i (at least) hold quite dear.
>
> to have the opportunity of bundling things doesn't mean the must to
> bundle things, so nobody would loose any freedom. but it would make
> sharing patches a lot easier, *especially* if you are using
> extensively
> the freedom that modularity gives you (ie. if you use a lot of
> selfmade
> abstractions).
>
> roman

There is something lost with too many features, and that is the
readability of the code.  If there are too many features, then you
will need to know every single feature to understand people's code.

An example here is Java Jars. The same format is used to bundle a
class, a bunch of classes, a whole program, or a library.  You only
need to learn about jars, and you can do all of those.

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!