[PD] Re: [PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 18 10:27:34 CET 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :

> Honestly, I doubt you could tell the difference between 4ms and 14ms
> in a blind test.  There have been many studies on this.  If you can
> detect such tiny differences in onset time, you would be superhuman.
Normal humans start to detect a modulation above a difference about
25ms, not even a delay.
Anyway, a real instrumentist would obviously be able to play with any
amount of latency, and a real director should be able to coordinate
different instrumentists.
 Take the violin section for example, the sound comes out from this
instrument group a long time after strings starts to be rubbed.
 The location of different instrumentists in the concert room is also a
cast that the director shouldn't neglect if he don't want all
instrumentists to be loosed in a soup of delayed attacks caused just by
the sound's travelling in atmosphere.