[PD] PD Newbie 101

Tim Mortimer timmortimer at d2.net.au
Sat Dec 23 11:52:11 CET 2006

Hi folks,

just about to dload & install PD.

I've had some experience with Max, & after recently beginning to explore
csound, a subsequent desire to (at least think about..) going all open
source, a desire to make some GUI stuff for csound, & to check out some
PMPD examples (boing!), i'm taking (another) deep breath, & biting the
bullet. so PD here we go...

So here's my initial questions/ want list.

1) how's the "out the box GUI" situation compared to max? the objects
that  get a real hammering from me (in Max) are Multislider & function
(or better yet, the ej-ies JSUI function object) - is there a similar
pair of "workhorses" ready to roll in PD?

2) is pfft~ & all related fft functionality available & built/ patched/
managed in the same way?

3) is there an Lobjects or equivalent for pd?

4) what's the best source of documentation for PD? (given i have some
experience with Max, & spend much more time with the Reference manual
than the tutorials at this stage.)

5) for the (perhaps many of you) like me who have made the switch, what
pitfalls, windfalls, general timesaving advice would u give?

Thanks folks! looking forward to us driving each other crazy! ; )

merry xmas

Tim

(my New Years resolution? an all linux audio PC by the end of 2007....if
i can afford a new box to run it on by then that is..)