[PD] [*] vs [*~]

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Wed Dec 27 22:03:18 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 15:40 -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Tim Blechmann wrote:
>
> > well, does polymorphism improve the expressive power in terms of
> > determination between messaging and dsp?
>
> I can't answer because I can't guess what you mean by "determination"
> here.
>
> Do you mean that it would be difficult to figure out what's a DSP object
> and what's not, in terms of figuring out what's in the DSP chain?

from the user point of view, i think, it's a good idea, to have a
specific separation between dsp and messaging, because both work with
very different concepts.

> Why do we need a DSP chain? Why do those tilde have the mojo dsp_chain()
> stuff while the message mofos don't deserve such a cache-locality?

well, computing audio signals is usually way more expensive then
computing messaging. for my personal performance patch, the messaging is
usually less than 2% of the cpu usage...

> If there was no DSP chain, or if the chain included all of the non-DSP, we
> might delay such determination until later... (but should we?)

if there was no dsp chain, it would be easier to utilize several audio
threads (see jackdmp) ... caching would definitely be worse, though ...

tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

The price an artist pays for doing what he wants is that he has to do
it.
  William S. Burroughs