[PD] Re: [GEM-dev] Re: pix_video and dv1394 capture on Edgy

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Dec 28 18:40:18 CET 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Studio Zodiak wrote:

> I tried to get 1394 running with ubuntu edgy without success also.
> Maybe try using a webcam before you die of frustration.
> I did. It changed my life : )

Both GEM and GridFlow would benefit from supporting a camera interface
based on libraw1394, libavc1394, etc., instead of the rather unstable and
deprecated direct interface to the kernel.

Another possibility would be to support videojack/unicap as a uniform
interface to cameras. I think that this might be a good idea because
there's only so much effort that we can bother to do trying to support
V4L1, V4L2, lib*1394.so (both DV and DC), (btw what is/was libdv1394? it
doesn't exist on Ubuntu), and then SANE and... did I forget any? And then
it's a good idea to have it in a separate thread/process (don't you love a
V4L driver that doesn't support non-blocking mode and ignores SIGALRM ?).

Despite those thoughts I still haven't had a look at unicap yet, still too
many other things TODO first.