[PD] float parsing

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Dec 29 01:43:30 CET 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> My intuition says that +1 should be a symbol,

Intuition is something that is trained. If you trained that part of your
intuition using pd and not much else, you may get to see "+1 is a symbol"
as something normal, obvious, and the way it should be. People with
different experience may get to think otherwise. The leading + is
recognised in float literals in almost all programming languages;
actually, only pd works like that, if I think only of contemporary
languages that were designed for doing real work.

> But if Pd starts removed + signs upon save, then that could also be annoying.

Pd already removes a lot of things. e.g. 1000001 becomes 1e+6, and so does
1000002, ...