[PD] sig/control on/off

padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Dec 30 21:25:31 CET 2006

>>  Any Ideas for how to halt or enable passage of info through sig and
>control
>> patch cords? not a necessary question but would be helpful k
>
>spigot?

Well, [spigot~] maybe. But here's a deeper question... because I would
choose a simple [*~] with a zero or one to gate on and off the audio stream.

But what is actually happening there is not the same as disconnecting
or "halting" the signal. If you created a subpatch with an inlet~,
outlet~ and a [switch~] unit controllable from above the subpatch
how does that compare to [spigot~]? I mean - are audio blocks no
longer passed to connected objects beyond the "break"? Is there any
significant computational advantage to disconnecting rather than
zeroing audio blocks in a typical patch?

ANdy