[PD] pix_video and dv1394 capture on Dapper/Edgy/FC6

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico.bukvic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 20:14:03 CET 2006

On 12/31/06, chris clepper <cgclepper at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/31/06, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico.bukvic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am still a bit confused why this is necessary (mode deals with
> "rectangle texturing" but since I was using the same version of pd/gem
> before and it worked without it, this is still IMHO very curious).
>
> Did any graphics drivers change?  There seems to be a problem with some
> configurations where rectangle textures are listed as supported but the
> texture coordinates for them are not dealt with properly.  Coordinates for
> rectangle textures are absolute pixel dimensions while 2D textures are
> normalized from 0..1, which is why the rectangle coordinates give the one
> big pixel effect.

Well, in my case the distro was upgraded from 5.04 to 6.10 which is a
pretty significant leap forward (kernel 2.6.5-ish to 2.6.18), so I am
quite confident that drivers have been updated all across the board.
Given that this is a dv issue, my guess would be the ieee1394 driver,
especially since the project website reports a major overhaul of the
driver for the 2.6.12 kernel series and up.

BTW, are there any sideffects of running pix_texture this way or is
this pretty much a transparent fix for this setup?

Again, many thanks for your help in this matter!

P.S. Perhaps it would be nice to overhaul the documentation to reflect
this important issue (it would've saved me 2 1/2 days of hacking :-)
and if googling is any indicator of the current state I am sure others
may benefit from it too. I'll gladly supply a new patch if someone
could upload it to Gem CVS since I do not have dev access to it.

Best wishes,

Ico