[PD] [*] vs [*~]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jan 1 23:53:23 CET 2007

On Dec 31, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Dec 30, 2006, at 5:27 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>
>>> But how does the type of those cords represent anything else than
>>> limitations of the implementation? How does the choice of
>>> considering those things as distinct types, and the choice to not
>>> auto-convert between types, constitute wise design decisions,
>>> beyond just being things that we have to accept as fact in the
>>> context of Pd?
>>
>> Its a design choice, its part of the language.
>
> This is not an answer to any of the above questions,
> Unless you're asserting that I should not ask such questions.
>
>> Any implementation would have to include that in order to be
>> compatible.
>
> And that's false, unless you include as a requirement that programs
> that fail to run with pd should also fail with any replacement of
> pd (which is usually not something considered a requirement).
>
> Removing type constraints doesn't break compatibility,
> It's not like removing all type information, which would break the
> parts of programs that make decisions based on type information.

You are free to believe anything you want.  But if you look at all
the implementations of Java, C, C++, etc. you will see that they all
handle strong typing, static typing, whatever the exact same way with
only minor caveats here and there that are usually labeled as
incompatible.

.hc

> | Mathieu Bouchard - tél:+1.514.383.3801 - http://artengine.ca/matju
> | Freelance Digital Arts Engineer, Montréal QC Canada

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson