[PD] helpfiles

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jan 6 07:44:21 CET 2007

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> I wish that individual files would have their own separate help files
> quite often.  Say, when getting help for ctrlin or midiin (or others of
> their ilk), it's quite annoying to new (and more seasoned) users to get
> detailed information on these objects.

While I agree that this particular helpfile could be somewhat more than
just hands-on guess-what-this-is-for, I believe that breaking it down
would remove the big picture: it would deemphasize the relationships, the
patterns. Those classes are better explained as a group because half of
them are opposite of the other half and each pair of opposites shares some
behaviour with another pair. e.g. I can organise those in a grid like

[ctlin]  [notein]
[ctlout] [noteout]

And so, if I teach those, why would I want to teach each of them as if it
lived in a bubble, when I could teach the rows and columns of that grid,
the in-ness, the out-ness, the ctl-ness and the note-ness of those things?