[PD] SB Live alsa multichannel configuration

A. Loonstra arnaud at sphaero.org
Sat Jan 6 12:20:01 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm posting to this list hoping to get some directions. I'm trying to
setup a Linux system (Ubuntu/Debian) with PD and a SB Live 5.1 PCI card
using 4 channel output. Is this even possible?

I'm hoping to use 4 audio channels with PD and the SB Live. I've been
looking how to accomplish this. I'm now looking into the .asoundrc
config files. I've tried different setups but I haven't been able to get
PD to use 4 channels of the card, only 2 channels. This is what I have
done so far:

.asoundrc:
ctl.live-test {
         type hw
         card 0
}
pcm.live-test {
         type hw
         card 0
}

pcm.live-multi_4 {
         type multi
         slaves.a.pcm live-test;
         slaves.a.channels 4;
         bindings.0.slave a;
         bindings.0.channel 0;
         bindings.1.slave a;
         bindings.1.channel 1;
         bindings.2.slave a;
         bindings.2.channel 2;
         bindings.3.slave a;
         bindings.3.channel 3;
}

Then I start pd as follows:
pd -alsa -alsaadd live-multi_4 -audiodev 2 -channels 4 -noadc

But then only the first two channels work.

Rg,

Arnaud