[PD] external object becoming a message box after saving

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jan 10 15:04:07 CET 2007

hi.

first off: please _always_ reply to the pd-list and not just me; the
list is not just a way to get into contact with others, but also a way
to learn things "passively" (e.g. by lurking on the list or by reading
the archives)...

ugur guney wrote:
> C:\MinGW\bin>gcc -v
> Reading specs from ../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/specs
> Configured with: ../gcc/configure --with-gcc --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as
> --host=
> mingw32 --target=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw --enable-threads --disable-nls
> --enable
> -languages=c,c++,f77,ada,objc,java --disable-win32-registry
> --disable-shared --e
> nable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-libgcj --disable-java-awt --without-x
> --enable-ja
> va-gc=boehm --disable-libgcj-debug --enable-interpreter
> --enable-hash-synchroniz
> ation --enable-libstdcxx-debug
> Thread model: win32
> gcc version 3.4.2 (mingw-special)
>
> # But I did not compiled PD by myself. I downloaded Puckette's version
> 40-2 and linked to its pd.lib file.
> # Both in this pd version and in PD-extended 0.39-2-test6 similar errors
> occured using the same .dll file.
> # I compiled using both CodeBlocks and DevC++ IDE's. DevC++ outputs the
> compilation commands:
>
> Compiler: Default compiler
> Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\pdexternal\Makefile.win"
> Executing  make...
> mingw32-make -f "C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\pdexternal\Makefile.win" all
> dllwrap.exe --output-def libadditive.def --implib libadditive.a
> additive~.o  -L"C:/music/pd.miller.40-2/lib"
> c:/music/pd.miller.40-2/bin/pd.lib   -o additive.dll
>
> dllwrap.exe: no export definition file provided.
> Creating one, but that may not be what you want
>
> Execution terminated
> Compilation successful
>
>     since you have a .dll, you are on windows right?
>     which windows?
>

> # And I'm using WindowsXP SP2
> -ugur-

ok, unfortunately your make excerpt didn't tell me enough, since you
should have done a "make clean" before. (only the linking stage is
executed since the compilation of additive~.o is already up-to-date).

miller's pd is compiled with M$VC-6 (i think), you have to tell gcc that
 you are linking against such library.

try to use the "-mms-bitfields" cflag to gcc when _compiling_ your external.
and tell us what happens.

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes