[PD] Granular Cross-fader

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 11:14:47 CET 2007

Sounds good Kyle.

If you listen to old skool house DJs they often use the tone
control to start with only the hi-hats/top of the mix (because that
is where you get the best time acuity) then as the mix fades to the
second part they drop in the bass.

For the mostpart only a few parameters will work for the grainsize
and randomness without it sounding watery and blurred, an optimal
window size and overlap.

The starting assumption is that you have two audio files and two
phasors/line segments that give you a pair of timelines that are
locked in beat sync.

The most obvious "granular mix" effect is to mix N grains from
one side with 1-N grains from the other per unit time.

But the weight/density of the sound is a product of the number
of grains per unit time and the grain size, so another mix would
be to increase the size of one grain stream and reduce the other.

You could make another interesting effect by "dissolving" one
stream into chaos by adding random time offsets to blur it out,
and then quickly mixing the other one in with the same amount
of blurring, then bring the new stream back into focus.

As far as tone/spectrum goes, smaller grains will generally be
higher (because they must contain shorter periods) and longer
grains will have more low frequencies.

Either way, you'll get modulation artifacts for grains whos period
is less than 1/F if F is the lowest frequency in the mix, but I assume
that is okay, just part of the effect.