[PD] OT: Jeff Han + The Crappy State of Mobile Phones (was Apple iPhone)

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 15:51:49 CET 2007

On 1/12/07, Malte Steiner <steiner at block4.com> wrote:
> I wonder if they hired Jeff Han for doing the multitouchscreen although
> it is obviously not cameradriven...

My guess is that Jeff Han did have something to do w/ development.
Look at the demo animations and it shows two fingers moving outward to
zoom into a photo:  this is exactly the method Han used to zoom in on
a desktop of photos in his own multi-touchscreen demo.

I am still not sold on this thing either.  It's seems more like a
concept phone.  My REAL hope lies that all the other phone companies
and manufacturers will learn that people crave innovation, simplicity,
and something that 'just works' for data swapping, especially address
books, email, SMS, and voice mail.

I have Sprint right now, and they're pretty horrible for a lot of
these reasons.  My phone (LG PM325) was touted as having Bluetooth,
but it can't communicate with my PowerBook worth a damn.  It has text
messaging where you have to sign in to a separate "sprint vision"
service, a process which takes > 2 mins, just to view an SMS message.
To connect to my computer and transfer an address book?  Good luck!
You need an expensive proprietary connector and some software that
feels like it's in Alpha testing and also must be bought separately.
Any software must be purchased:  no FLOSS allowed.

Basically, phones right now need to become more standardized, and open
to development, rather than being the tin-can platforms for
after-market jollies that the companies are pushing them to be.
Hopefully Apple will scare the bejeezus out of the other manufacturers
into providing a sensible and working product.  It sure worked like
that against Blockbuster Video when Netflix hit the scene!

~Kyle

--

http://theradioproject.com
http://perhapsidid.blogspot.com