[PD] OT: Jeff Han + The Crappy State of Mobile Phones (was Apple iPhone)

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Fri Jan 12 15:57:12 CET 2007

Hmm - well the technique that Han uses isn't appropriate for a device as
small at the phone. (basically, his technique features a camera looking
at the display surface from underneath - meaning that it requires a
substantial amount of throw underneath, which isn't available in a
mobile phone). Also, this technique wasn't invented by Han - he's just
the first one who has made a really nice, convincing demo of it.
http://www.cs.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirsense/

That said - he and his students had a lot of neat ideas for multi-finger
applications, so Apple may have been in touch with him for some
brainstorming..
-Dave M.

--
MIT Media Lab