[PD] Pduino: change read speed

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sat Jan 13 11:48:09 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 03:59 +0100, Christian Klippel wrote:
> Am Samstag, 13. Januar 2007 03:31 schrieb Roman Haefeli:
> > hello
>
> [...snip...]
>

> > would it be easy to change the code of the firmware, so that it sends
> > the values of each analog input with a fixed rate (e.g. 100 Hz)?
> >
> > i am not a c programmer, anyway i tried to search for kind of a delay
> > function in the code, but couldn't find anything. am i right in
> > assuming, that as it is now, it cycles through the code and sends each
> > time the values with the maximum possible rate, or in other words: there
> > is no speedlimit in the firmware? if so, how hard would it be to
> > implement kind of a speedlimit on the arduino-side?
> >
> > any suggestions are welcome.
> >

> the best way would be to implement a threshold and a gating function that
> handles the adc readouts. i'm doing that in the multio. it works like this:
>
> the last sent value is saved. the actual readout is compared to that, and if
> the difference is above a given threshold, it will open the gate for a
> certain amount of time. during that time it sends all values (as long as they
> change, regardless of the threhold). each time the change is above the
> threshold, the open-time is reset. now, when the changes are below the
> threhold during the gate-open time, the time runs out. then it closes the
> gate again and the whole thing starts over.
>
> this has two advantages: when nothing happens, there are no values to send at
> all. but while the gate is on, you dont miss any change, allowing for smooth
> transistions, and get all values as they come in.

this would solve my problem, when for example i don't move a physical
fader, that is connected to the arduino board. but as as long as i am
moving that fader, the respective analogIn sends its values with the
maximum rate, so i will probably have jitter on the digitalOuts again.
of course, your proposal would be much more elegant in terms of saving
badwidth, when it is not used, but unfortunately i am not able to code
it.

basically, i hoped it would be as easy as inserting a line somewhere in
the firmware code, that says something like:

'wait here for 1ms, then continue'

i wouldn't mind, if this would lower the over all rate, as long as
jitter is reduced.

roman