[PD] Patchmatrix Execution Order Issues

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jan 17 20:58:57 CET 2007

Hallo,
Luke Iannini (pd) hat gesagt: // Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:

> This will of course all be clearer if you are viewing the patch.
> Assuming you are now:  in column 1 of the patchmatrix on the upper
> left, enable outputs 2(Y) and 3(Z) (such that the matrix looks like
> this:
> 0 0 0
> 1 0 0
> 1 0 0
> ).
>
> Now, in the top right, send "10101" to input A (this is an arbitrary
> value for demonstration).  Over on the right, you'll see that it
> reaches output Z but not output Y.  This (as it is easier to determine
> now - my actual configuration is a 9inx17out matrix that connects most
> of my library of patches, hence the 16 hours of debugging) is because:
> output Z feeds back to input C, thus retrieving column 3 of the
> patchmatrix, which is set to send to no outlets at all (0 0 0).
> Apparently, by the time "10101" reaches output Y's spigot, it has
> already closed.

Yes, that's not only apparently, that's the way it is patched ATM.

But actually even worse things can happen: If you make your matrix
like this:

 0 0 0
 1 0 1
 1 0 1

you will get a nasty stack overflow!!

> If anyone is still following... how can I make this work?

Could you specify a bit more how exactly your patcher should behave,
because I still didn't quite figure this out.

Ciao