[PD] polypoly's second inlet

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jan 19 01:33:14 CET 2007

Hallo,
Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:

> I've been converting a PD synth I've been using from an [nqpoly] voice
> manager to Frank's new [polypoly].  Mostly, it's working well for me,
> but one thing about it seems less than optimal, and I wonder if it is
> intentional.
>
> The first inlet sends its {note, amp} pairs to one and only one instance
> of the polypoly'd abstraction.  The second inlet broadcasts its message
> to *all* instances (see attached patch for simple illustration).
>
> I can see reasons for wanting it to work that way, so if it was
> intentional, so be it.  It would work much better for my selfish
> purposes -- I like to send a big list of parameters to the voice that's
> about to be fired off -- if it only connected to the same instance that
> the first inlet connects to.

You could use a little trick by connecting the second inlet to the
right inlet of a [list] object inside your wrapper to store, but not
activate new settings on a per note level. Then bang the left inlet of
this [list] with the "noteon"-message coming in to the left inlet of
your wrapper with a [t a b] or something like that.

> (As an aside, it occurs to me that [polypoly] would be much more
> generalizable if the first inlet could send a list *of any size* to the
> poly-allocated abstraction, instead of a hardwired {note, amp} pair.

Actually this is a limitation of [poly], and [polypoly] really was
made to be a handy wrapper around [poly] that mimicks most of its
functionality and can alsmost be used as a drop-in replacement without
having to refer to the help patch again. It may be nice if [poly]
would support "note amp foo bar etc." lists.

Maybe you will be happier with using [ngpoly4] directly?

Ciao