[PD] Fwd: basic logic (AND OR) and control in PD

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 22 12:15:51 CET 2007

hi matthew

welcome to the pd world :-)

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 09:43 +0000, matthew venn wrote:
> Hi people, I'm really new to PD, and I've got so many questions! I'm
> working a lot out with the docs, but I've got a couple of things I've
> not been able to work out on my own.
>
> 1/- where can I find documentation on expr?

the helpfiles are in pd/extra (at least here incc my 0.40.0
installation)

> 2/- I have attached a patch that I'm sure can be optimised. It's
> control logic for a loop sampler, and my questions are
>
> * why do I have to convert bangs to numbers to be able to use them
> with expr - see the stuff after unpack, and also the trigger on the
> left . Am I having a misunderstanding about the difference between the
> types of messages (bangs and numbers)?

'bang' is kind of an empty message, that is used to triggers events. the
[expr]-object wants numbers (floats, in pd all numbers are floats). that
means, you cannot set the internal state just by sending a bang, but you
need to send a number '0' or '1' (or any other nonzero number, iirc) to
set the internal state to '1' or to '0' respectively.

> * is there a way I can get rid of the selects? It seems I have to do
> this to be able to get expr to send a message.

i cannot quite follow, what your intention is by reading your patch.

wether you need the [select]s or not, depends on what you want to
achieve. if you want, that the [closeloop stop(-message gets triggered
only, when the [expr] sends a [1(, then you need the [select].

maybe you explain a bit more detailed, what you want to do. i have the
feeling, that some of pd's priciples are not very clear to you. if i
could help you with a specific example, it might be easier to explain
for me / understand for you.

roman