[PD] What's the difference?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jan 24 09:41:02 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> test7 was released, RC1 will be the next release.  I make these test
> releases on my site, the RC1 builds on the auto-build site are not the
> released version, but instead are whatever is current that night.  Once
> I make a release, I change the version number in CVS, and therefore the
> version changes in the auto-build.
>
> This means I don't have to make release builds anymore, they are made
> automatically every night.

interesting.

so to summarize:
"test" packages are considered to be stable releases.
"RC" (release candidate) packages are considered to be CVS-snapshots.

i guess i am mixing something up, since i would have a guessed to be the
other way around. according http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_candidate
i would have seen "test" to be "beta", and "RC" to be "gamma"

generally it would be good to have this explained somewhere (e.g. on
puredata.info or as a readme on autobuild.puredata.info)

the idea to retrieve the version number fully automated is a good one.

mfg.adr
IOhannes