[PD] isosonic curves : level the perceptual loudness of different pitches

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 15:24:47 CET 2007

Hi, Alexandre,

On the one hand, a filter could be designed to approximate what you
need, but this sounds like a job for the wavelet transform.  A linear
filter can't handle the level-dependent changes in iso-sonic curves.
In the wavelet domain, you could apply different compression/expansion
curves for each subband to approximately invert the equal loudness
contours.

The only big problem here is that you need to have a calibrated system
to make a real difference.  You need to know, when you tell your
loudspeaker to output 90 dB at 1000 Hz, it will *be* 90 dB for your
listeners (same for all the other frequencies in your composition).
Also, the loudness can vary over the listening area, and may depend on
reverberation.

If you've already got a multi-band equalizer set up and a microphone
to take measurements in some particular listening position, you can
already make a decent linear approximation, without anything else.

Chuck