[PD] number boxes and GOP under Windows

Patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Sat Jan 27 08:12:41 CET 2007

Damian Stewart a écrit :
> Has anyone noticed some nasty performance issues over time running
> patches with number boxes and GOP?

More widgets are used, more performances will decrease, the design of a
patch could be an interesting topic...
> Number boxes seem to affect performance proportionately to how many
> times they've changed
> Leaving a patch open that has multiple number boxes that change a few
> times every second (for example bars:beats:ticks timer) for an hour or
> more can sometimes bring my system to a grinding halt. Restarting PD
> and reloading the patch usually fixes it.

We don't need to put a numberbox for each value for sighing a changing
set of value, canvas could be used as well.
one numberbox could be used with some patch magick, I particulary use
the zexy object [demux] for for using a single numbox to set a large
bunch of parameters.
> This seems to exacerbated if the number boxes are within a GOP canvas,
> and even more so if said GOP canvas is contained in another GOP canvas
> (for example, a GOP VU inside a GOP preamp).

VU is dramatically a performance issue, but they could be replaced by
lighter objects, like canvas and sliders.