[PD] What's the difference?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jan 27 16:36:22 CET 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 3:41 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> test7 was released, RC1 will be the next release.  I make these test
>> releases on my site, the RC1 builds on the auto-build site are not
>> the
>> released version, but instead are whatever is current that night.
>> Once
>> I make a release, I change the version number in CVS, and
>> therefore the
>> version changes in the auto-build.
>>
>> This means I don't have to make release builds anymore, they are made
>> automatically every night.
>>

> interesting.
>
> so to summarize:
> "test" packages are considered to be stable releases.
> "RC" (release candidate) packages are considered to be CVS-snapshots.
>
> i guess i am mixing something up, since i would have a guessed to
> be the
> other way around. according http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Release_candidate
> i would have seen "test" to be "beta", and "RC" to be "gamma"
>
> generally it would be good to have this explained somewhere (e.g. on
> puredata.info or as a readme on autobuild.puredata.info)
>

> the idea to retrieve the version number fully automated is a good one.

There are definitely stable releases, that's what on the SourceForge
download page.  The test/RC releases are here

http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html

It goes like this on the path to a release:

dated auto-build  -->   test build -->   RC build   -->  release

Pd-0.40.2-extended is in the first phase, Pd-0.39.2-extended is in
the test phase, with the next step being RC.  RC means code freeze,
only bug fixes.  I suppose the test builds should be called beta,
that makes sense, I'll do that next time.  RC are release candidates
in every sense of the word.

As for downloading from the auto-build page, those are nightly
builds, don't expect them to be anything.  Don't use auto-builds if
you aren't willing to help find bugs.

.hc

                                               http://at.or.at/hans/