[pd] gui redraw improved by holding down a random key

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jan 28 21:42:24 CET 2007

On Jan 28, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Steffen wrote:

> On 28/01/2007, at 10.32, hard off wrote:
>
>> using a 20x20 pixel canvas as a cursor, and sending a [pos xy<
>> message
>> to change the cursor's position, the gui redraw is really blocky.
>
> Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what does "blocky" mean? Here (pd-
> extended-test7 mac intel 10.4.8) the square canvas scrolls
> horizontally what seam like smooth 1 pixel per time unite.

I am on Pd-0.39.2-extended-test7 on Mac/PowerPC and it seems smooth
to me too.  I can see know difference whether I am holding down a key
or not, or wether the DSP is on or not.

One thing, you are updating every 5 ms.  Your screen probably has a
refresh rate of around 12.5ms (80Hz) or less, so that's 2.5 position
updates per draw update.  That could make things less that smooth, I
suppose.