[PD] edit or play mode information

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jan 29 15:45:07 CET 2007

Hallo,
robbert van hulzen hat gesagt: // robbert van hulzen wrote:

> thanks. i don't think i fully understand your reply, but i'm also not sure
> whether this is what i need: i'm not looking for simpler and / or more
> flexible ways to control mode & cursor movement.
> i'm looking for a way to make a keyboard action 'conditional': hitting the
> spacebar should have no effect in edit mode, and perform certain things (to
> be hooked up per version of the 'motherpatch' that i base patches for
> specific pieces on ... at least that's the plan ;) ) when in play mode. so
> i'm looking for a way to get the information about status mode from pd,
> which i'll then attempt to have control a spigot or sth similar.

I don't think, this is possible, also because edit-mode is a
per-canvas setting. You can have edit mode enabled in one subpatch,
and disabled in another subpatch. (see attached)

A good trick I heard from Peter Plessas: You could use CAPS_LOCK to
switch between a custom performance mode and an edit mode. Just
connect a [spigot] to your [key] [keyname] or [gemkeyname] objects and
switch it on and off with CAPS_LOCK. I don't use this because I don't
have a CAPS_LOCK key (it's mapped to an additional CTRL-key here,
which is more comfortable when pressing CTRL-E all the time.)

Ciao