Maximum Array Size (Again! was: [PD] array arrow test7)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Feb 1 12:18:06 CET 2007

hello everyone

iirc, there was a discussion about arrays and a problem to read huge
arrays with [tabread4~]. due to a limitation of 32bit-floats, it's not
possible to read huge arrays continously after a certain point, because
the index cannot represent each integer, when it is higher than a
certain value. i am not sure anymore, but i think, the maximum index is
2 ^ 23 = 8388608, which would make it possible to read out an array
without artefacts of 8388608 / 44100 = 190s length. matju, who left this
list, has explained that much nicer and more accurate. unfortunately i
couldn't find that post anymore. anyway, the moral of this story is,
that bigger arrays than 3min should be avoided, otherwise artefacts are
expected.

roman