[PD] flext, fluid~, readanysf~, and FLEXT_USE_CMEM (or don't)

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Sat Feb 3 14:37:41 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 10:32 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> > First, make sure you're not really delete()ing a NULL pointer ;-)
> That
> > said, I do think we've stumbled onto the same bug, and that there's
> > something going horribly wrong (possibly because of mis-use and/or
> > misunderstanding of flext's conventions) particularly when flext
> objects
> > are not self-contained, and call functions from 3rd-party shared
> > libraries (e.g. fluid~ --> libfluid; readanysf~ --> libogg,
> libvorbis,
> > libmad, libflac, etc.; your resoncomb~ --> libSndObj).
>
> Hm, maybe fluid~ should go back to being a pure C/Pd external like it
> was in its prevous life as iiwu~?  Max-users didn't seem interested in
> it (or just not willing to compile) anyways, one even wrote a new,
> pure C Max external for fluidsynth instead of compiling the
> flext-fluid~. So the cross-platformness I was hoping to achieve didn't
> work out in practice.

the overloading of the memory allocation functions in flext seems to be
only a problem on linux (iirc, thomas could never really reproduce it on
osx/windows). i've had the same problems one or two years ago, and for
me i fixed it, by writing my own custom scons build system for
flext/flexternals, that enforces same preprocessor definitons on _all_
externals and ensures the rebuilding of objects, in case of header file
changes.

cheers ... tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Avoid the world, it's just a lot of dust and drag and means nothing in
the end.
  Jack Kerouac