[PD] PD & CHAT

Tim Boykett tim at timesup.org
Mon Feb 5 09:37:58 CET 2007

Hi,

   I have done a series of small "performances" where a telnet-based
chatroom has been the performance space and PD makes sounds in response
to actions there.

The simple explanation is to use netcat (nc) to communicate with
a chatroom, the output then being fed via a small sed script via
pdsend to PD, receiving via a netreceive object.
On the other side I was using some pdreceive (on a
linux machine, now I use OSX and I cannot find it!) to take messages
from PD and feed them into netcat.

Some playing around last week seemed to show that netreceive no
longer needs
the closing semicolon ; on messages, so in some cases it may be possible
to avoid the sed script and simply pass the output of nc direct to
pdsend. I
haven't tried this yet.....

If this is all gibberish, I can dig out some examples on how to use
it all.
It worked a few months ago when I last tried it...

cheers,
tim