[pd] shaper filter

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Wed Feb 7 00:16:18 CET 2007

> yes.  sorry i forgot that the kawai's also share a model number.

actually there was never a Kawai K2000, only K1,K3,K4, K5 and K5000 (and
another K1, K1 II or something like that)

> yes, there definately is a shaping filter.  and i'm pretty sure that
> it does not include any resynthesis.
>
> i just found this (not about the k2000, but probably similar:
>
> "The resonant filter is actually an FIR Comb filter with very tight
> bands. In addition, it is pre-programmed with an envelope shape for a
> really dynamic sweeping effect."

so something with bandpass filters would be great, which are used for
formant filters and vocoders. Have you checked out the Lattice filter
object?
Of course these approaches are not as precise as resynthesis but have a
destinct sound without the additive sparkle. I am about to create a
morphing filter synthesizer with some bandpasses in pd with the Emu
Morpheus in mind. Although they interpolate the filter coefficients to
create the dynamic morph. Can the biquad or FIR objects do this? How
dynamic are they, I nether tried them...
I once wrote a nasty digital sounding VSTi (as opposite to the 303
clones) called Microcomputer, not the biggest financial suggest due to
its alien nature. Its filter also blend between different coefficients
but it could easy get unstable.
Coefficients are sort of small convolution anyway...

Cheers,

Malte
--
Malte Steiner