[PD] flext, fluid~, readanysf~, and FLEXT_USE_CMEM (or don't)

Conor J Curran forward at forwind.net
Wed Feb 7 01:12:05 CET 2007

Hola Bryan,
> sounds familiar indeed... have you by any chance tried compiling your
> external without threads, linking (statically) to libflext-pd_s.a ?  I
> don't know if you need threads or not, but at least that might narrow
> down the range of possible error sources...
I have not but I was under the impression that if I was to compile my
external in the current flext setup using single-release. This would imply no
use of threads and also statically linking to the .a lib as opposed to the .so.
Is this correct? If not what do I need to do to ensure I do so? Sorry
but I might have mentioned before I pretty clueless with this gcc stuff.

> ... I'd try it without FLEXT_THREADS (libpthread), both with and without
> FLEXT_USE_CMEM: that might make things clearer.  I think this can be
> accomplished by:
>
>   (a) ensuring that FLEXT_THREADS is undefined for your external
> (-UFLEXT_THREADS)
Should -UFLEXT_THREADS be added to my config.txt in the external
directory.

UFLAGS += -UFLEXT_THREADS ?
Or should I ensure it is no defined. -U = undefine ?

>   (b) linking to the static single-threaded flext library, libflext-pd_s.a

> ... hmm, looking at it, it seems that the default shared libflext-pd.so
> is threadless, but is nonetheless compiled and linked with the -pthread
> option.  Maybe it might help to remove the "-pthread" compiler & linker
> flags for threadless (shared,single) builds: this amounts to editing
> flext/buildsys/lnx/gnumake-gcc.inc, and the idea is just a shot in the
> dark, but at least it would make debugging easier ;-)
I have edited this file so now the part which did contain the pthread
stuff looks like this
#removed from both: -pthread
CFLAGS += -fPIC
LDFLAGS += -shared

One question are you working from 5.0 release of flext or are you using
the head of cvs?

I will have some more time to spend on this tomorrow evening.

until the morning.

Cj