[PD] Question reference patches

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 7 11:02:14 CET 2007

Hallo,
Jiri Heitlager hat gesagt: // Jiri Heitlager wrote:

> i am building a project that uses several audio channels. That is all
> working well. No I have one question. I have build one channel and put
> that into a patch [pd channel] Each [pd channel] holds a [dac~ n]. If I
> then copy the [pd channel] and make changes in one [pd channel] changes
> are not reflected in the others. It seems that a copy is made from the
> patch, I would like to know if it is possible to make each copy a
> reference to a patch so that changes in one is reflected in many.

You stumbled accros the difference between a subpatch like [pd
subpatch] and an abstraction, which is a complete patch saved as a
seperate file in the working directory or somewhere in Pd's search path.

You want an abstraction here instead of a subpatch. To make on, just
copy the contents of [pd channel] to a new file, save that as e.g.
"channel.pd" and then use that instead of [pd channel] by creating an
object [channel].

> Then I also wonder if it is possible to set the [dac~ n] at 'runtime'. n
> otherwords is it possible to have a var setting the output channel.

Somehow it is: If you write your channel.pd abstraction to use a [dac
$1] you can create [channel 1], [channel 2] ... [channel 16] objects,
and [dac $1] will be the same as [dac~ 1], [dac~ 2] ... [dac~ 16] in
the respective [channel ...] instances.

Ciao