[PD] [OT] gallery installation sound

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 22:08:59 CET 2007

On 2/7/07, Kevin McCoy <km.takewithyou at gmail.com> wrote:
there are many sound scientists and artists on the list so I thought
> I would ask if anyone knows of resources to look at for dealing with these
> kinds of issues?  How are other artists sorting these things out?  Any links
> or recommendations would be very helpful.  Low ends tend to get very muddy
> and the highs and mids spill all over the place.  Are there certain tricks I
> could use in mixing or placement/kinds of speakers to preserve the highs and
> mids better in a difficult space?  This might be a difficult question since
> you can't hear the piece in person, but even general advice would be very
> helpful.

I'm no sound scientist, but wouldn't just some ordinary foam of the
type people put in their music studios help? It sounds like you are
having trouble with unwanted and weird reverberations, which the foam
should lesson. Having performed music in such spaces (concrete and
metal), I've got a pretty good idea of the kind of acoustic nightmare
you are probably facing...

~David