[PD] [OT] gallery installation sound

Ben Saylor bensaylor at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 7 22:13:29 CET 2007

I haven't done any sound installations, but in thinking about a
particular space had some ideas for dealing with these acoustical
issues.  You could design the sound for the space, working with rather
than against the acoustics.  If possible, you could capture the impulse
response of the space (perhaps in multiple locations), then as you work
on the sound, use convolution to hear how it will sound in the space.  I
guess the degree to which you can adapt your piece depends on how far
along you already are.

Alternatively, you could acoustically treat the space using acoustic
foam or rigid fiberglass.  This page has tons of good info:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Ben