[PD] [OT] gallery installation sound

Peter Plessas plessas at mur.at
Thu Feb 8 01:18:36 CET 2007

Hi Kevin,

one more strategy i found very helpful in the past:
It seems quite logical to try to incorporate the acoustics of that
special room, rather than trying to fight it. A mixture of a dry,
low-volume nearfield with speakers pointing towards the listener and a
reverberant ambience could make a nice best-of-both-worlds blend, plus
allowing you to use the reverated/dry character as additional parameter
to build your installation around. One nice thing for reverberant sound
projection is to point the speakers onto the wall and let the sound
reflect from the wall towards the listener. Just like indirect light
from the lamp next to your sofa, this approach lets the sound blend
nicely with the room's reverberation character.

good luck, and perhaps tell the list how you did get along!

lg,P