[PD] Dynamic generation of $0-including objects?

Luke Iannini (pd) lukexipd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 15:12:08 CET 2007

Yes, you are correct that I was using it to speed normal patching, in
this case I was generating patch-matrix toggle elements in a grid that
communicated with a matrix object via $0 (the details of that are
discussed in a previous thread of mine).  I was cut-and-pasting them
to other patches, so the interpreted $0 was not useful to me.
Typically, I ended up circumventing the issue while waiting for a
response, but I can still see the use of this.  I think it's perhaps
more apparent in generating $1-$n as arguments.

I say it is a kludge because makefilename is essentially a wrapper,
and moving things to be more pd-like consistently reduces kludginess.
Just like the ability of 0.40 to use dollar-args anywhere within a
symbol rather than just at the beginning, and the re-assignability of
[send]; both reduce countless "kludges" of [list2symbol] or
[makefilename]... perhaps it was "pd-like" to have 8 objects creating
a single dynamic send but I prefer the... new pd-likeness : ) (though
it's a few months before I'll be using it).

Luke