[PD] Re: namecanvas - why deprecated?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Feb 10 01:01:48 CET 2007

Hallo,
Matteo Sisti Sette hat gesagt: // Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote
>
> > Try:
> >
> >  [clear(
> >  [s $0something]
> >
> > That's why [namecanvas] is not the final word on the functionality it
> > provides.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. If you mean because it makes PD crash,
> then try this:
>
> [clear(
> |
> [s pd-whateverthisfileiscalled.pd]
>
> with no use of [namecanvas]. This crashes too.

Well, that's an error of the patch-author. But clearing a patch
containing a [namecanvas] doesn't crash Pd, it just makes the named
canvas unavailable for further processing. Attached patch illustrates
this behaviour.

> The workaround of creating a subpatch (which you may call $0- or
> $1-something) is ok if all the dynamically generated stuff is "processing
> stuff", but what if we are dinamically generating interface elements? It is
> not irrelevant to have to go one level deeper in the patch tree to get a
> piece of interface visible. I can think of real-life scenarios...

Well, as I mentioned, this is one usecase for namecanvas, that's not
possible with subpatches. But it's a usecase, that not necessarily
requires a namepatch-object, it is probably better realized with
canvas-Properties similar to graph-on-parent etc.

Ciao