[PD] hid compatibility

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Tue Feb 13 14:52:32 CET 2007

On 13/02/2007, at 12.56, Thomas Grill wrote:

> Hi all,
> it's perfectly possible to separate mouse and wacom tablet
> inputs,by "capturing" the wacom.

I'm just curious. How is that "capturing" different from doing
appropriate adjustments to X.conf on a linux system which have been
suggested as possible workarounds?

> The major problem is that this is can only be done by using a non-
> disclosed API. I was able to make an arrangement with wacom so that
> they gave me the relevant specs, but i'm not allowed to publish an
> object with open-source. It's possible to publish a binary one,
> though.

I simply don't understand why companies that make hardware like this
wants to close the api like that. What gain can balance the loss of
potentional users (= buyers)?

> The object is already working for MacOS but i haven't had time for
> Windows yet. It will be part of vibrez_pure.

Great stuff. Can one just snap stuff/objects out of the vibrez_pure
build and add it else where? Also, apart from the wee intro text on
the website, can you share more info on the vibrez_pure project -
especially how it differs from the other distributions?