[PD] State Saving - Summary

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 14 16:17:40 CET 2007

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> the state  saving is more a side effect, since the main goal was to
> provide a system, that makes sure, that all patches have the same state,
> no matter when a user joins a running session. since that was
> implemented, it was very easy to use the same system to write states
> into files and store them again.

Yep, that's what a state saving system should have in mind anyways:
state saving should not be tied to files alone, it should also allow
saving "to the net" or to CVS etc. I think, this is done very nicely
in netpd.

> the netpd-framework only provides
> functionality to save states of single patches. if you want to save the
> state of all opened patches, you would need to write your own
> preset-manager (which is not that difficult and there are already
> examples).
> anyway, the netpd-state saving system is made for netpd and does only
> work for netpd.

Really? I didn't have a deep look at it yet but I was under the
impression that the actual state collectors are very similar
to sssad and thus should be easy to make just as flexible in regard to
"frameworks".

One thing that is on my TODO list for [sssad]  is local saving, that
is, reading and writing only the state of the current $0-namespace.
There already is quite a clear image of how to implement this in my
mind, I'll just need to sit down and patch and test it.

Ciao