[PD] Sampler loop strategies

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 22:43:39 CET 2007

On 2/14/07, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> Actually I was assuming that you have good loop points indeed. From my
> (short) tracker days I remember that tuning the loop points in a
> sample was an important step to get it right. Fading in and out or
> cross has the disadvantage that you may get artifacts from the amplitude
> modulation.
>
> However some approaches for fading (even with a single [tabread4~]) are
> shown in the docs in the various *sampler*.pd files.

Hi, I wonder, if I set loop points in SoundForge, which is my sound
editor of choice (unless I'm doing very simple command line stuff in
Sox), if PD has any way to get the .WAV metadata about the loop
points???

Anyway, regardless of that, when I load samples into Native
Instruments Intakt, I can set my own loop point on the fly. I often
use this with glitchy samples, to choose a small portion and get an
arbitrary pitch based on the loop length. The other thing that's cool
is to take a longer sample - say of some kind of weird industrial
machines - and arbitrarily set the loop to random points.

I suppose looping a clarinet or cello sample would be a whole
different story, I guess if I'm working for something so traditional,
I'd rather find something pre-looped than be bothered with that kind
of pedantic thing... which again makes me think how nice it would be
to support some different sampler formats in PD!

~David