[PD] Font and Text size; how to make pd patches easier on the eyes

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Thu Feb 15 12:43:02 CET 2007

On Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 11:06:32AM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> John H hat gesagt: // John H wrote:
>
> > This is my first submission to this mailing list, so I hope I'm not
> > completely in the wrong here. I've searched through all the daily digests
> > that I've received in the past few months, and I couldn't find a single
> > issue about font size or even the general gui bugs that make everything so
> > hard to read. I really like the potential of PD in all of it's areas of
> > exploration, but I can't use it for very long without straining my eyes.
> > Also some times different gui objects and text overlap each other, making it
> > difficult to see what's what, and I have found no way to simply resize
> > (stretch) the canvas. Excuse me if I'm out of order here. I'm not writing
> > this to complain. Is there a solution I don't know about? Is this an issue
> > that's currently being worked on?

the main issue is pd (server) thinks it knows what the font size is after rendering on the client. so you get the overlap and sizing issues since its not using bounding boxes from the client to control positioning. if you just want to deuglify the text, configure Tk with --enable-xft (linux) or set the font to something ClearType (win XP or greater) then change the font. to do this you might still have to find/replace all instances of courier to tahoma in the pd/src/*.{c,tk} files , or maybe the pdsettings mechanism obsoleted this need..