[PD] GEM doesn't compile in Fedora Core 5

Pete Redest postal759 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 10:28:01 CET 2007

Perfect! all the info necessary to build and install can be found,
and the build and install works "like a charm" as you say.

I tried first the aclocal-1.8 bit and that didn't work for me.

I don't know  what you meant by the statement that "Gem is
also included in the autobuild of pd which also supports FC".
I didn't find GEM in the source tree of PD.

Anyways, the CVS version compiles and works!! GREAT!.
Side note: I had already installed all the OpenGL libs, tiff,
etc, including the -devel packages in order to compile Mesa,
and other packages. So that the installation of these packages
is not detailed here.

For the benefit of anyone that will be here after this posting,
here is a "script" (basically a transcript of the commands that
I used and worked for me) to download, build and install GEM
after building and installing PD in my Fedora Core 5 box:

--- begin script ---
# This script comes directly from the instructions I got from IOhannes,
GEM's
# maintainer, the precise instructions for downloading the latest CVS
version
# in http://gem.iem.at/download.html, section "anonymous access", the GEM
online
# manual page http://gem.iem.at/manual/GemWPd.html, "Using GEM with PD", and
the
# README.linux file in ..../pd-0.4x-y/gem/src. This all assumes that PD is
# already compiled (under pd-0.4x-y) and installed. The README.linux file
can
# be found under ...../pd-0.4x-y/gem/src after downloading, and copying GEM
# under the pd source dir root as detailed below.

# All the downloads and builds are done in subdirectories of
/home/downloads/PD
  cd /home/downloads/PD
  mkdir GEM
  mkdir GEM/CVS-versions
  cd GEM/CVS-versions
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.gem.iem.at:/cvsroot/pd-gem login
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.gem.iem.at:/cvsroot/pd-gem checkout Gem
GemLibs
  rm -f GemLibs/glm/README.txt GemLibs/liborb/README.txt
GemLibs/particle/README.txt GemLibs/README GemLibs/makeauxlibs
  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.gem.iem.at:/cvsroot/pd-gem update -d
  cp -r Gem ../../pd-0.40-2
  cd ../../pd-0.40-2
  mv Gem gem
  cd gem/src
  gvim README.linux
  aclocal
  autoconf
  configure
  make
  make install

# now invoke PD with the GEM library: $ pd -lib Gem
# if that doesn't get the GEM welcome messages in the PD window, do:
# $ pd -lib /usr/local/lib/pd/extra/Gem

--- end script ---

Indeed, this didn't take days. However, all the previous attempts to
solve the intermediate problems, posting a question, implementing
the answer, did, though. That's the way it happens ... some day
there will be a real Linux for the masses - that will require a rather
substantial mental shift in the Linux development community, though.
In the meanwhile, THANK YOU IOhannes. Without your help I would
still be lost.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!

TioP (Peter)