[PD] pix_film more questions

Item State itemstatechanged at yahoo.de
Sat Feb 17 01:46:53 CET 2007

--- chris clepper <cgclepper at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Item State <itemstatechanged at yahoo.de>
> wrote:
> >

> > it seems also that pix_film doesn't "fire" events
> when
> > sending the same frame number repeatedly into the
> > right inlet (like if i switch on the metro in
> attached
> > patch, nothing happens).
>

> What you describe is gloriously inefficient since
> the frame has been
> decoded, processed and sent to the GPU already.

i don't want to decode the frame again, i just want
the processing chain to continue at say 20 fps to fade
the currently halted movie image. if i stop the movie
and then adjust the contrast, nothing is happening
(only if  a new movie frame is decoded). can i buffer
the current movie frame somehow and then re-flush the
buffer?

> also i need to now the current time of the movie
> > (preferably quicktime time refering to the movie's
> > timebase, or milliseconds, or otherwise frame
> number
> > could do as well). like something equivalent to
> the
> > [gettime( message with [jit.qt.movie]. i only see
> > static output for the films's dimension and an
> > end-of-file bang...
>

> Why do you need this?

i have hundreds of clips and .coll files with loop
points specified in movie-time (quicktime time with
timebase 600 usually). the movies have variable frame
rates from 8 to 15, sometimes with frame rates
changing within the movie so i would like to specify
the current time using movie timebase not frame
number. with low fps rates, the conversion of my time
values into frame indices is very coarse, and all the
audio part is already composed and fine synced ... the
problem is if i switch to manual mode sending the
frame indices to the right inlet, i will need the
precise quicktime movie timing for every single frame,
and it's not possible to get it (sometimes the actual
fps is like 8.357883 etc. so i will need to analyse
each of 300 movies ...)

> is it possible to specify looppoints for the movies?
>

> Yes, using the total number of frames in the movie
> sent to the middle outlet
> when the film loads.  Use a counter object to set
> the start and stop frame
> of the loop between 0 and the total frames of the
> film.

i'll do a test tomorrow. if i use a metro, will it
automatically compensate for runtime jitter, i.e. will
it stay stable over time (i know metro is horrors in
max).

also what i don't understand: if the rendering is not
triggered independant of the film but only if a new
film frame is decoded, what happens if i have four
movies with different frame rates? this sounds as if i
get very inefficient rendering since probably four
times as much rendering events will be fired than
would actually be needed to compose one image of all
four movies glued together.

ciao, -sciss-