[PD] pix_film more questions

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 19:58:54 CET 2007

On 2/17/07, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> wrote:

> > The metro is not so hot in Pd either.  Good luck.
>
> here we go again. we already had a discussion here about that topic
> without a satisfying conclusion (at least for me). what exactly do you
> mean by 'not so hot'? is it inaccurate when using it to draw something
> on the screen? if so, why?

Pd's logical time ignores real world 'wall time' and it also queues events.
That is fine if you only deal with time inside of Pd, assume that time is
perfect and want every event to fire no matter how wrong the time is, but it
causes trouble with any media reliant on 'wall time'.  Using a metro to
drive pix_film will cause the media to drift from reference over time since
events are not dropped if they do not arrive on time.  The correct handling
would drop the event if it did not occur in the proper window and move on
thus keeping proper relation to actual time.

The original pix_record used Pd's logical time and made recordings with
completely wrong timing.  After adding internal timers pix_record would
properly drop frames and adhere to a wall clock.  The windows version still
has some problems with timing and will make some Keystone Cops footage if he
load is extremely high.