[PD] Google Summer of Code

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sun Feb 18 17:19:28 CET 2007

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 23:15:43 +0100
Georg Holzmann <grhPD at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hallo!
>
> > Its not a sure thing that they'll run it again, so we'll just have to
> > wait and see...
>
> it runs again:
> http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> <cite>
> How does a mentoring organization apply?
>
> The organization should choose a single administrator to submit its
> application via the GSoC web app between March 5-12, 2007.
> </cite> from
> http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60302&topic=10727
>

> so it's quite soon ...
>
> any suggestions for projects ?

If google was good for searching sounds you'd be able to
give it a url for a sound and have it return as many as it can find like it,
as you get with Freesound and sites that try and match spectrograms. Is that
the idea?

I guess having stringy things helps a lot now. Wonder if anyone ever written a
webserver in Pd? Or something like pd mod-perl module or pd python module
for Apache, that would be fun, to make pd behave as a web application component
for data views/representation, say you wanted to browse the spectrographs
of a fat directory of data files. I did it clumsily by calling XGraph through
[shell] and passing it a list of floats from a flatfile. A pd only patch that
returns some pretty pictures of data to a web browser would be quite cute.
Or can the summer of code thing just be about any stuff you like and not
limited to web programming?