[PD] Saving abstraction states?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sun Feb 18 04:18:58 CET 2007

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 02:17:44PM -0700, Vreahli the Audio Bandit wrote:
> Heya again - more questions. I'm trying to find a way to save presets or
> states for a patch in an abstraction within a patch. If I create an
> array with [table] it gets dumped out. I've read a bit about memento,
> however I have bad luck with abstractions so I'd rather try to do it by

Are you sure you mean 'bad luck with abstractions'? All you have to
do is copy the files into a directory in Pd's path. Perhaps you meant
trouble with compiling externals? If that's the case, then check out the
Pd-extended project which Hans is working on, since I think it bundles
most of the requirements for memento.

> hand. :) How exactly does the [state] object work? Any ideas? I'm less
> concerned with making multiple presets since I could just hardcode those
> in to an array, and more concerned with say [synth1 instance1] keeping
> it's own settings since the last time I tweaked it. :) I also thought
> about using a separate file for each instance (name it synth1
> $0-settings) but that kinda feels a bit like an inelegant hack to me.
> Thanks in advance for any advice or insight!

Exactly what you want to do has already been solved by the [sssad] state
saving mechanism by Frank B. I cannot recommend this highly enough. I
save all data from all of my [synth1 instance1]'s in-patch using this
system and it's very easy to set up and use.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx